Earlier we shared that our intrepid Speech and Debate Club was continuing to meet every week on Zoom. Last week, a group of club members and Coach, Beth Martin (Syd, OOS '20; Quinn OOS '18 & Notre Dame '22), put their work to the test at the California Middle School State Championship. And, as Coach Beth put it, wow!
Here is what Coach Beth shared:
Congratulations to each of you who participated in the California Middle School State Championship! This was the most prepared I've seen the team yet and it showed in your level of confidence and performance. I'm particularly proud of how you stayed motivated, despite no in-person coaching and how you navigated the logistics of your first (and my first) online speech tournament. Wow! With 650+ competitors and 250+ judges, it was stressful at times waiting for email messages that came late or were unclear when they did arrive. And yet, you persevered!"
Awards and Team Shout-Outs:
- Jayden Brown (GR7): Third Place statewide in "Program Oral Interpretation." Jayden entered with her interpretation on "Barriers."
- Samantha Houston (GR7): Semi-Finalist in Humorous Interpretation with her performance of "You're a Good Man Charlie Brown."
- Cat Dover (GR7): Way to go Cat for completing her first ever speech tournament!
- Mia Jones (GR7): Kudos for the best pep talk to her teammates! (I may be borrowing parts of your talk for next time, with full credit due, of course)
- Syd Martin & Ava Hulquist (GR8): Congrats to the "Dynamic Duo Team" for completing their third consecutive year on the OOS Speech & Debate Team. Together at competitions, they completed three Duo Interpretation Speeches, 5 Humorous Interpretations, and 13 tournaments.